Sunday, June 21, 2015

Cats from Down Under


Today, as I celebrate the Summer Solstice, a friend down under celebrates the Winter Solstice. Where I live now, the days will get shorter as hers grow longer. She eagerly awaits the warmth of summer, while I anticipate the (incredibly lovely) coolness of winter. It wasn't long ago, I lived where she lives now, in New Zealand.

I am still adapting to the heat of June and July, having experienced big snows there in New Zealand during those months. Many expats there gather for the mid-winter Christmas in June, complete with big Thanksgiving-style dinners and holiday decorations.

We're all still acclimating to the east coast of the US, after having lived for years in New Zealand. My husband, kids and I brought only suitcases and a bunch of Kiwi cats on the plane. Along the way, we've added two more cats, bringing the total to half a dozen. They add to the family dynamic in delightful, charming, and sometimes chaotic ways, but always making the journey more fun.

Coming soon...myths about living with cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment